July 2017: The American Legion Encourages Congress to Close the 90/10 Loophole (July 2017) (click here).
June 2017 Senators' Letter to Education Secretary Betsy DeVos Requesting Protection of Students' Right to "Borrower Defense" (forgiveness of student loans for defrauded students)
May 2017 Bipartisan Letter to Education Dept. Requesting Action on Defrauded Students' (especially Veterans') Right to "Borrower Defense" from Nevada Senators Cortez Masto and Heller (and press release)
May, 2016 Veterans and Military Organizations Ask Senator Manchin to Keep Protections in Place to Prevent Fraudulent and Deceptive Recruiting on Base (and a separate letter from twelve state Attorneys General)(an explanatory Q&A on the amendment)
July, 2013 Veterans & Military Organizations Ask Congressional Appropriators to Better Protect Defense Department Education Funds (as well as a Letter from The American Legion to Sen. Durbin and an American Legion Letter to Sen. Cochran)
- HR 1216: Protecting Veterans from School Closures Act of 2017
- Veterans Education Relief and Reinstatement Act
- HR 1379: To expand GI Bill to cover all Purple Heart Recipients
- HR 1384: Reserve Component Benefits Parity Act (to expand GI Bill to cover all National Guard and Reserve Guard orders, especially 12304a and 12304b orders)
- HR 2103: Julian Woods Yellow Ribbon Program Expansion Act (to expand Yellow Ribbon to GI Bill beneficiaries who are children or spouses of service members who died in the line of duty)
- Protecting Financial Aid for Students and Taxpayers Act
- Career Ready Student Veterans Act - House of Representatives - passed unanimously Feb. 9, 2016
- Career-Ready Student Veterans Act - Senate - passed unanimously Dec. 10, 2016, as part of Public Law 114-315 (Miller-Blumenthal Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2016)
- Military and Veteran Education Protection Act
- The Protecting Our Students and Taxpayers Act
- 10 U.S.C. 2006a, 2014 National Defense Authorization Act s. 541 - signed into law Dec. 2013
- July 2017: House Veterans Affairs Committee hearing: HR 3218, Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2017. Here is VES' Statement for the Record.
- June 2017: Senate Veterans Affairs Committee hearing: Pending Legislation including witness testimony and veterans & military organization submissions. Here is VES Statement for the Record.
- June 2017: House Veterans Affairs Committee hearing: Improving the Quality and Timeliness of GI Bill Processing for Student Veterans (video). Documents here.
- VES Statement for the Record on Legislative Priorities for the 115th Congress.
- January 2017: VA Secretary Nominee David Shulkin (commits to protecting veterans from deceptive, predatory colleges at minutes 1:28:24 and 1:30:37 in this C-Span video)
- October 2016: VES Testimony before the Evidence-Based Policy Commission
- May 2015: VES Statement for the Record HVAC Legislative Hearing on the GI Bill Oversight Act of 2016
- September 2015: VES Statement for the Record SVAC Legislative Hearing on S. 1938 Career Ready Student Veterans Act
- June 2015: VES Statement for the Record HVAC Legislative Hearing on H.R. 2360 Career Ready Student Veterans Act
- March 2015: VES Statement for the Record HVAC hearing on veteran higher education opportunities
- July 23, 2013: U.S. Senate Hearing: The 90/10 Rule: Improving Educational Outcomes for Our Military and Veterans
- June 12, 2013: U.S. Senate Hearing: Deceptive Recruiting of Service members (including testimony by a whistleblower former college recruiter)
- September 22, 2011: U.S. Senate Hearing: Improving Educational Outcomes for Our Military
- July 21, 2011: U.S. Senate Hearing: Improving For-Profit Higher Education: A Roundtable Discussion of Policy Solutions
- June 7, 2011: U.S. Senate Hearing: Drowning in Debt: Financial Outcomes of Students at For-Profit Colleges
- March 10, 2011: U.S. Senate Hearing: Bridgepoint Education, Inc.: A Case study in For-Profit Education and Oversight
- September 30, 2010: U.S. Senate Hearing: The Federal Investment in For-Profit Education: Are Students Succeeding?
- August 4, 2010: U.S. Senate Hearing: For-Profit Schools: The Student Recruitment Experience
- June 24, 2010: U.S. Senate Hearing: Emerging Risk? An Overview of the Federal Investment in For-Profit Education
- July 7, 2017: Rep. Mike Coffman Meets with Defrauded Colorado Veterans, Hears How Some Colleges Target GI Bill with Consumer Fraud and Dishonorable Practices. Photos and tweet here
- December 12, 2016 VES Hails Final Passage of Career Ready Student Veterans Act, Thanks Sens. Blumenthal, Cassidy, Tills, and Reps. Miller and Takano
VES President Carrie Wofford testifies before the bipartisan Congressional Commission on Evidence-Based Policy Making (October 2016)